2.11.2013

Emotional Creatures posted by Willie Downs

Willie Downs has a great site called The Animator Letters Project, which "is an ongoing effort to gather handwritten letters from professional animators; each sharing their stories and words of wisdom, as a source of inspiration and encouragement for aspiring animators."

This post with a letter by Disney animator Steve Anderson was referenced by illustrator Brian Won in an online interview to trail how I found it. Just the very thing I needed today. 
Thanks, Steve, and thanks, Willie!

An excerpt:

"Ultimately, the struggles that we have- the creative blocks we all face- come from comparing ourselves to others. I’m not as good as that person. I’m not as successful as that person. That person is at the level I want to be at and I don’t have it in me to get there. I do this constantly. But I realized a few years ago that what I SHOULD be doing is comparing myself to myself. I find that when I step back and evaluate where I’ve come from, and where I am in relation to that. I feel much healthier."